Friday 23 February 2018

JANUARY 2018 - FILMS + TV

A few films enjoyed in January, though I had hoped to have watched a bit more - I've still got another half dozen backed up on the black box recorder in the front room - maybe February then?

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

An okay watch, more than a few twists and turns as you'd expect. Tom Cruise does what he does. I enjoyed Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner and Ving Rhames. Rebecca Ferguson offers a bit of love interest (maybe) and Sean Harris is the bad guy. There's worse ways of spending an hour or two.

From IMDB....

Ethan and team take on their most impossible mission yet, eradicating the Syndicate - an International rogue organization as highly skilled as they are, committed to destroying the IMF.


Focus (2015)

I do like movies with a con man and this was no exception. I was taken in a few times, especially at the football game, though with hindsight I should I have been a bit more savvy to what was going on. That was probably the highlight for me and the subsequent Buenos Aires twist felt a bit anti-climatic in my opinion. I do like a bit of Will Smith. My daughter raves about Margot Robbie, but I can't recall seeing her in anything before.  As far as confidence movies go - Matchstick Men is still my favourite by a country mile.

From Google....

Nicky (Will Smith), a veteran con artist, takes a novice named Jess (Margot Robbie) under his wing. While Nicky teaches Jess the tricks of the trade, the pair become romantically involved; but, when Jess gets uncomfortably close, Nicky ends their relationship. Three years later, Nicky is in Buenos Aires working a very dangerous scheme when Jess -- now an accomplished femme fatale -- unexpectedly shows up. Her appearance throws Nicky for a loop at a time when he cannot afford to be off his game.


Brick Mansions (2014)

Not the best thing I've ever recorded and watched - Shit Mansions might have been a better title. An okay story, but it kind of seemed like the director wanted to show of David Belle's acrobatic prowess. He's very jumpy and leapy in this thing, which kind of took me out of the story. Paul Walker was okay.

From Google...

In a dystopian Detroit, grand houses that once housed the wealthy are now homes of the city's most-dangerous criminals. Surrounding the area is a giant wall to keep the rest of Detroit safe. For undercover cop Damien Collier (Paul Walker), every day is a battle against corruption as he struggles to bring his father's killer, Tremaine (RZA), to justice. Meanwhile, Damien and an ex-con named Lino (David Belle) work together to save the city from a plot to destroy it.



Takers (2010)
Much more my sort of thing - a gang of crooks and a dogged cop who won't give up. A decent story line and an entertaining cast - I like Matt Dillon and Idris Elba - though he might have got a bit too big for his boots lately. The rest of the cast were very good also.

From Google...

Gordon Jennings (Idris Elba) and his friends enjoy a luxurious lifestyle funded by bank robberies, and they avoid capture by sticking to a strict set of rules. As they celebrate the latest job, a former associate arrives with a daring plan to rob an armored car. The lure of so much cash is too tempting to resist but, unbeknown to Gordon's men, this heist puts them on a collision course with Russian mobsters and a detective (Matt Dillon) who will do anything to capture them.



Now You See Me (2013)
Second time around for this one and still just as enjoyable. Apart from Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo, Isla Fisher and Morgan Freeman, I couldn't tell you who any of the other illusionists were. Michael Caine also features. I do like Ruffalo, though I've not seen him in too much - Spotlight and Shutter Island.

From IMDB....

An F.B.I. Agent, and an Interpol Detective, track a team of illusionists, who pull off bank heists during their performances, and reward their audiences with the money.


Now You See Me 2 (2016)
More of the same, but still a decent couple of hours viewing.

From IMDB....

The Four Horsemen resurface, and are forcibly recruited by a tech genius to pull off their most impossible heist yet.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you had some decent viewing, Col, and I'm glad to hear it. I like Will Smith, too, and I'm glad you thought Focus was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will Smith is very watchable in most everything he does.

      Delete
  2. We watched Rogue Nation for the 2nd time recently. I love all the regulars from that series, especially Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg. There is only one from that series that we did not like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've kind of lost track of the series, but I did like this one. I do like Jeremy Renner as well as Rhames and Pegg.

      Delete